This Communiqué was issued at Pretoria, Republic of South Africa, on 5 October 2021
1. The Extraordinary Summit of the Organ Troika of the Heads of State and Government of the Southern African Development Community (SADC) plus the Republic of Mozambique, hereafter called Summit, was held in Pretoria, Republic of South Africa on 5th October, 2021.
2. Summit was officially opened by His Excellency Matamela Cyril Ramaphosa, President of the Republic of South Africa and Chairperson of the SADC Organ on Politics, Defence and Security Cooperation
3. Summit was attended by the following Heads of State and Government or their representatives:
South Africa – His Excellency Matamela Cyril Ramaphosa, President of the Republic of South Africa and Chairperson of the SADC Organ on Politics, Defence and Security Cooperation.
Namibia – His Excellency Dr. Hage G. Geingob, President of the Republic of Namibia and Incoming Chairperson of the SADC Organ on Politics, Defence and Security Cooperation.
Botswana – His Excellency Dr. Mokgweetsi Eric Keabetswe Masisi, President of the Republic of Botswana and Outgoing Chairperson of the SADC Organ on Politics, Defence and Security Cooperation.
Mozambique – His Excellency Filipe Jacinto Nyusi, President of the Republic of Mozambique
and Outgoing Chairperson of SADC.
4. In attendance were members of the Ministerial Committee of the Organ (MCO) Troika, the SADC Executive Secretary and Head of the SADC Mission to Mozambique.
5. Summit considered the progress report of the Regional Coordination Mechanism on the operations of SADC Mission in Mozambique (SAMIM), and commended the SAMIM leadership and their troops for the remarkable achievements made since the deployment of the Mission in July, 2021.
6. Summit commended Member States that have contributed personnel, equipment and financial resources for the deployment of the SAMIM in support of the Republic of Mozambique to combat acts of terrorism and violent extremism.
7. Summit expressed deep condolences to the families and Governments of the Republic of Botswana and the United Republic of Tanzania for the loss of three soldiers who were serving under the SAMIM.
8. Summit approved the extension of the SAMIM to continue with offensive operations against terrorists and violent extremists to consolidate stability of security and create a conducive environment for resettlement of the population and facilitate humanitarian assistance operations and sustainable development.
9. Summit urged Member States, in collaboration with humanitarian agencies, to continue providing humanitarian relief to the population affected by the terrorist attacks, including the internally displaced persons.
10. Summit expressed unwavering commitment to continue supporting the Republic of Mozambique in achieving peace and security in is some districts of the central and northern Cabo Delgado province.
11. Summit acknowledged the expression of gratitude by the Government of the Republic of Mozambique for the regions contribution in support to fight terrorism.
12. Summit commended His Excellency Matamela Cyril Ramaphosa, President of the Republic of South Africa and the Chairperson of the Organ on Politics, Defence and Security Cooperation, for his leadership and for convening the Extraordinary Organ Troika Summit.