Jambo Africa Online’s previews the event of the trailblazing author, Tshidi Monkoe, at the The South African State Theatre on 6 May 2023…
Tshidi Monkoe is a free-spirited and open-minded woman whose purpose in life is to heal and teach others through her life experiences.
Known for her self-published book, titled Prison Love, Tshidi’s entrepreneurial journey began long before she became a best-selling author. In 2010, she made a decision to resign from her 9-5 job as a Sales Executive in
the Conference and Training industry, and established a catering and events business. The objective was to host workshops and seminars for corporate, government and SOCs. The catering business grew as she catered for the Ekurhuleni Municipality as well as the African National Congress in preparation for the Mangaung Conference. She has also catered for various companies in the private sector.
Tshidi has a National Diploma in Food Service Management, which she acquired through the University Of Johannesburg’s Hotel School. She however had a scant passion for the industry; it has always been something to fall back on. She has also dabbled in the mini taxi business, having had three vehicles servicing the Vosloorus area. On the side, she sold bunny chows (kota/sphatlo), fried chips and snacks from the garage of a family doctor.
Tshidi is a sought-after motivational speaker, a qualified Relationship and Wellness Coach, NLP Coach, NLP Practitioner, lyricist and a self-published author of a best-selling book titled Prison Love. She also established two organizations; a private company specializing in catering as well as a non-profit organization with the objective of providing support for women whose partners have been incarcerated. When she is not writing, or making a difference in people’s lives, Tshidi enjoys reading the word of God, listening to music and spending time with her two children.
- Tshidi has partnered with Women Are Healing Foundation. The foundation has psychologists who assist queens to heal from wounds – physical and emotional – of Gender Based Violence, as well as offer them ongoing support.
- Intercape Luxury Charters: For the month of August, Intercape offered Tshidi reliable, dependable and safe mode of travel as she traversed the country promoting her book as well as for her speaking engagements.
- Will speak at the African Women In Trade Conference in October. African Women In Trade is a gathering of African women, entrepreneurs, economic contributors and stakeholders including government, corporate, investors and students who account for the largest population in the country. The conference promotes entrepreneurship and offers a platform for African entrepreneurs to network.
- In June, her book was reviewed by the Virtual Reading Club facilitated by the National Reading Coalition, in partnership with the Department of Basic Education. This was in support of the Read To Learn Campaign.
- Prison Love was selected and recommended by the Gauteng Department of Education to be used in high schools.
- Tshidi has supplied the City of Tshwane Municipality and the Department of Arts and Culture in the North West for their libraries.
- The book has also been selected by the Department of Arts and Culture in the Northern Cape, the Eastern Cape and the Free State.
Last year Tshidi facilitated a panel discussion at The Book Fair hosted by the University of Free State, Free State University of Technology and Sol Plaatjie University
- Tshidi managed to get her book on the shelves of Exclusive Books stores without a distributor
- The book is also available in Botswana, Lesotho and Zimbabwe.
- 2017 – The Department of Education Pretoria North Region (Women’s Month Celebrations)
- 2022 – Steve Tshwete High School
- Olivenhoutbosch Primary School
WORK IN PROGRESS
- Translating Prison Love to Southern Sotho, IsiZulu, IsiXhosa and French to follow.
- Setting up a YouTube Channel
- Corporate Coaching and Speaking.